To use a printer, the computer has to have a software installed, that is, a Printer Driver,and certain settings to tell the computer on hoe to connect the Printer and what to print.
- Read the instructions that came with the printer. Some printers require that you install software before connecting them, but you can connect other printers immediately.
If you have a wireless printer, Choose Start→Devices and Printers and click the Add a Printer link in the window that appears. Choose the Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer option and follow the instructions.
If you choose the third option in Step 2, in the Devices and Printers window that appears, click the “Add a Printer” link near the top. The Add Printer dialog box appears.
In the Add Printer dialog box, click the “Add a Local Printer” option and click “Next”. The Choose a Printer Port dialog box appears.
Click the down arrow on the Use an Existing Port field and select a port, or just use the recommended port setting that Windows selects for you. Click Next. The Install the Printer Driver dialog box appears.
Choose a manufacturer and then choose a printer. You then have two options:
- Power on the computer and follow one of these options, as it fits your needs.
- If the printer is a Plug and Play device, connect it and power it on; Windows installs what it needs automatically. Just Insert the disk that came with the device and follow the on-screen instructions. Choose Start→Devices and Printers.
In the resulting Type a Printer Name dialog box, enter a printer name. Click Next. You see yet another dialog box.
Click Finish to complete the Add Printer Wizard.
If your computer is on a network and you choose the fourth option in Step 2, you get additional dialog boxes in the wizard, including the one right after you name the printer, which allows you to share the printer on your network.
- If you have the manufacturer’s disc, insert it in the appropriate CD drive now and click the “Have Disk button”. Click Next.
- If you don’t have the manufacturer’s disc, click the Windows Update button to see a list of printer drivers that you can download from the Microsoft Web site. Click Next.